Thursday, July 31, 2014

Bike Wreck

July 17th:  Four days after Scott learned to ride his bike without training wheels, he had a bad wreck.  

He and I walked over to the dumpster to throw our trash away.  Then we were going to get in the truck and go down to the farmer's market that goes on every Thursday here in the park we are staying in.  Before we got back from the dumpster, Henry and Sage walked outside.  Sage jumped on his bike.  So...Scott jumped on his bike.  Neither one put their helmet on.  I said to Henry, "They really need to have their helmets on."  BUT because I was only going to let them ride for 2 minutes (literally because we were leaving), I didn't press the issue.  Henry went back inside.  Scott goes, "Mommy!  Watch!  I can go in circles!"  This was something he had been practicing so he was so excited to show me.  As soon as he said that, I said, "Scott...Be careful!"  And BAM!  He crashed.  And his head slammed into the concrete.  I saw it happen.  And I keep seeing it happen 2 weeks later.   It was BAD.  I ran over to him, scooped him up like I was She-Ra, and carried him into the RV.  

Henry and I did little 'tests' to see if he was with it like having him say all of our names, tell us how many fingers we have it, watch our fingers with his eyes as we move them, etc.  He could do it all, but then...he started to fall asleep.  That's when I knew we had to take him to the hospital.  Henry stayed home with Sage because he was still working.  On the way to the hospital, Scott tried to fall asleep 2 more times.  Thankfully, the hospital is only 2 miles away.  









When we walked into the emergency room, 
there was not a soul in there.  Not even at the desk!
Two ladies came in, and I had to ask, "Is this really the 
emergency room?" because I had never been in an empty one!  



Hate seeing my baby laying in a hospital bed.  
The doctor did all the same little tests that I had done
at home.  I told him that Scott had tried to fall 
asleep 3 times since hitting his head, and he ordered
a cat scan.  Scott was brave during the cat scan.  
They let me stand next to him as the machine
scanned him.  All was good!!  Thank God!  



When I told Scott I was going to take him to the hospital, 
he flipped out.  He is terrified of hospitals even if he's not the patient.  
So...I did what any mother would do and promised a frosty!
His boo boo does look like a lipstick kiss in this picture.  




We had plans that night already to go to dinner 
with Henry's mom at a place
called Milliken's Reef.  We met some friends
of hers there too.   It's a really nice 
restaurant in Cape Canaveral on the water.
Inside is fine dining complete with saxophone
player.  Outside is casual dining complete
with beach volleyball.   We ate inside.
I enjoyed the crab cakes!



We came across a very large pirate.


There was also a band outside playing 'beachy music'.



Literally right on the water.  


The bike accident happened 2 weeks ago, and Scott's head injury is all healed up.  It is a bit pink still, but very light.  He still loves riding his bike, but this momma is a nervous wreck every time he gets on it!  



No comments:

Post a Comment