Sunday, April 5, 2015

We made it to New Orleans!

After Florida being our home for the past 9 months, 
we packed up, hitched up, and left yesterday on 
Saturday, April 4th.  

If you want the cliff notes of the trip, 
we made it safely to New Orleans.
The end.

Keep reading for the longer version.


I DROVE THE TRUCK 
AND 
PULLED OUR HOUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME!



I always knew that I was going to at some point drive it, and I decided that my first time should be on nice, flat Florida roads.
I knew that I needed to be comfortable driving it in case of any emergency that would force me to drive.  
I don't do well under pressure...
so we decided that yesterday on our leisurely drive with no place to be that I would drive it for the first time.

I drove just 30 miles from rest area to rest area...
so no turns, no traffic lights, etc.
just get on road, stay in right lane, get off rest area ramp, and park in big 'ole parking spot.

Easy Peasy!

I ended up driving a second time yesterday too, 
and even SWITCHED lanes!
Baby steps.  

It took us 9 hours (!!!) to get out of Florida!

We made it to the Alabama Welcome Center, 
and was so glad that their parking spots were so 
wide that we could put out our slides to sleep comfortably.


The Easter bunny found our parking spot in the 
Welcome Center!
The boys got lots of candy and new fishing poles
(now Henry and I have to learn how to fish!)

This is what a peanut-free, tree nut-free, and artificial-free 
Easter basket looks like.



One beauty of pulling your house is that you have your kitchen with you at all times!
Homemade hot chocolate for the road.








We made it to our home for the next 6 days...
30 minutes outside of New Orleans.


Level pull-thru site.


After we unhitched, hooked up hoses, got lunch, went grocery shopping, took showers, we decided to go to the French Quarter.  I wanted Henry to come with us there, and today was the only chance he would have to come with us.  He has to work Monday-Friday.  I was nervous about going there by myself....not for safety reasons, but I get concerned about where to park our beast of a truck and just where to go in general.  


Driving over the Pontchartrain River.
We couldn't figure out why it looked so weird to us.
It was brownish water and looked so uniform
with white streaks in the water in even patterns.



When I saw this guy walking down the street in a tutu, 
I knew we had arrived in the French Quarter.








Confession time!
From what we saw of the French Quarter today, 
it's not my thing.  
I had no interest in even parking and walking around.

THERE WERE SO MANY PEOPLE.
LOTS of people aren't my thing.

I don't know if it was crazy crowded because it was a weekend day, or because it was Easter (holiday), or because of Spring Break, or if it's just like that every day...
but it was too crowded.for.me.  

Plus, it started raining right when we got there
so we didn't want to pay $20 to park somewhere and 
be miserable walking around in the rain.  

Have I mentioned that hubby and I don't drink...
like at all.  

So maybe NOLA just isn't the place for us....
or maybe just the French Quarter isn't for us.  

We decided to turn around and go straight back to the campground.  We were all just really tired anyway.

Here's the Super Dome...
which houses hurricane victims.


The thing that probably surprised me the most was that New Orleans is actually a city!  Ha!  Like with tall buildings!
I've never seen pictures of the tall buildings ....
just the little streets with little buildings...ha!




Hard to tell from the picture, 
but this is an RV park right in the city.




 Slug Bug!



No comments:

Post a Comment