Friday, May 1, 2015

Mount Bonnell and Congress Bridge in Austin, TX

I learned about Mount Bonnell from TripAdvisor.  
So glad we took the time to go see it in person.

You drive up the majority of the hill.
At some point, you come to diagonal parking 
off the side of the road.  (It's free parking).  
Once you are parked, 
you then walk up the remainder of the hill.  
There are stone steps with a hand railing to use.

If there is anything to let me know how out of shape I am, 
it's these steps!  Henry and the boys seemed to fly up the steps while I slowly (but steadily) made my way up.  

Once you reach the top, you are rewarded 
with immaculate views of Austin and Lake Austin.  
My pictures don't do it justice.






(Scott didn't want to change out of his swimming gear when we left the springs.  Whatever.  Pick your battles).  




















Didn't realize I was getting this girl in my pics.
It was too sunny to actually see what I was taking pics of  :-)
Skyline of Austin in the background.
My phone makes it look so far away.



Mountain climbing family.


Rolly-Pollies!
Scott's favorite bug!








We took a little hike through the woods.
Yes, I'm constantly on the look-out for a snake...
or some foreign Texan creature we haven't encountered.  








My reason for selfies?
Look!  I'm here too!











Gorgeous views...
with no type of barrier...rope...fence...
for protection.








Of course this big kid wanted to see 
how close he could get to the edge. 









Amazing houses right on the water.
Their boat could dock right up against their house.






Our last stop for the day in Austin was to Congress Bridge to watch the bats emerge at dusk from underneath the bridge.


Scott wanted to take these pics in front of the big metal bat in the background for his Batman-loving friend, Jacob.



There was some type of festival going on right below the bridge so we got to enjoy some great music while we waited on the bats.



After much pleading from Scott for us to go down below the bridge, we finally agreed he was right.  



SO...there are no pictures of the bats emerging from the bridge because (1) my cell phone/camera died.  (2)  We couldn't actually see the bats flying out.  It was too dark.  

We could see bats for a split second when someone shined their cell phone flash, but overall we couldn't.see.a.thing.  
Bummer.


Our neighbor at the RV park told us about Buc-ee's Gas Station.  After her explanation, we just had to stop and see it for ourselves.
Talk about everything is bigger in Texas!
Even their gas stations!
It is huge!  

The inside is more like a grocery store than a gas station.
There is fresh fruit/salads as well as the normal gas station snacks.
Henry got some of the beef jerky (they have an actual meat counter there!)  
Very clean restrooms.
TONS of gas pumps. 





We were pump 248 when we filled up with diesel.
Not sure how many pumps they really have...


Supposedly, the line of gas pumps are the length 
of 3 football fields put together.  



Our day in Austin was jam-packed with fun and adventure.  
We didn't make it back to our RV until 11:30 pm.
Even Sage fell asleep on the way home.
(And don't worry...I sat them back up to a nice, safe car-riding position after I took this picture).



My conclusion of Austin:  I really liked it!  Like really, really liked it.  There's a little bit of this, a little bit of that there. 
Now, I would love it if about 90% of the people would leave.  It's so crowded!  Traffic congestion is not my thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment