Sunday, January 5, 2014

Life is Short

On December 6th, 2013, my husband's brother passed away very suddenly and very unexpectedly.  He died of a heart attack at the age of 43.



His death really affected me.  I knew him for a short 15 years, and he was my brother-in-law for 10 of those years.  He, from day one, welcomed me with open arms.  He was an awesome BIL, and and an amazing uncle to our two boys.  It is still really hard for me to wrap my head around that he is gone forever.



I have known my whole life that 'life is short', that you can leave this Earth at any given moment.  His death reminded me of these truths.  My husband said it best about his brother, "He didn't have ambition to have a good job and make good money.  He was all about building strong relationships with people."  People were important to him, not money.  No mother (parent) should lose their child.  My mother-in-law lost her first born.  I silently feel her pain.  Having us down in Florida will hopefully help my grieving in-laws.  Our boys have the tendency to make you laugh and smile...and I want to share that.


Moving to Florida is a way for our family to live our life, to be in charge of our own life.  It's so easy to get comfortable with your daily life and get set in your ways, to lose sight of what is important.  I love, love, love the life that I am living right now.  However, I want to show our children the world, teach them things that can't be taught here in Ohio.  We'll do some different hands-on learning in Florida.  (I swear moving to Florida is like moving to a different country to me!)  My older son actually wants to be an 'Adventurer' when he grows up.  He wants to travel the world and be like a nomad.

 Our year in Florida is our way of taking a leap of faith, taking life by the wings and holding on for dear life.


No comments:

Post a Comment